THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Jill Scott Is A Single Mother Like So Many Others

via Essence.com

Philly soul maven Jill Scott has been a sister-friend and sometimes mother to many through her music and robust vocals. Now, Scott is tackling the most important role in her life as mom to 2-month-old son, Jett Hamilton, while continuing to enjoy a flourishing film and television career. Word on the street is that the natural beauty might be toting an Emmy soon for her enigmatic role as Precious in HBO's critically acclaimed series "The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency." ESSENCE.com caught up with Scott to talk about possibly nabbing that trophy, enduring 36 hours of labor, and life as a single mother.

ESSENCE.COM: Congrats on the possibility of an Emmy nod for Best TV Drama Actress! If you win you will be the first African-American woman to do so. Did you expect such acclaim or pressure?
JILL SCOTT: No pressure, but I'm excited. It's definitely something I dreamt about, and if it comes to fruition then that's wonderful. In regards to expecting the acclaim, I wish I was that forward thinking. We were just there doing a good job, and after the show was done we thought, Well, maybe. I am proud of the work that we did.

ESSENCE.COM: Does this Hollywood success mean your music fans won't hear your angelic voice anytime soon?
SCOTT: As much as I take a break, music never gives up on me. I have to write, sing, listen to my iPod, and that inspires me to create. It's a part of me that I don't ever want to go away, no matter what else I do, so I'd say that you can expect a new CD possibly this year, I hope.

ESSENCE.COM: Congrats to you on your new bundle of joy, Jett Hamilton. How has motherhood been treating you?
SCOTT: Wonderful. I named him after a black gemstone that my makeup artist in Africa had; it was simply called Jet, and I fell in love with it and the name because I thought my beautiful baby is a gem. I truly loved being pregnant and feeling what was going on inside my body and watching it change. It's difficult to recoup but still amazing nonetheless. I would have another one.

Jill has always had a good head on her shoulders and is the epitome of a big and beautiful woman who will hold it down.

0 comments: